You’ve got a relative or a friend who loves riding scooters or electric scooters. You want to please him/her with a birthday or Christmas gift, but you are clueless! No worries, you have come to the right place!
Here is a list of gift ideas for someone who likes riding scooters:
- Handlebar storage bag
- Wall storage solutions
- Transport handle
- Lighting system
- GPS tracker
1. Handlebar storage bag
How do you carry things on an (electric) scooter? Most people rely on plastic bags that they attach to the scooter’s handlebar. Depending on what is inside it, your ride can easily become uncomfortable as the bag wobbles around. Other solutions for this issue include opting for a backpack, or a basket like the ones found usually in city bikes.
Here at ownyourwheels, we propose to you a more 21-century fitting solution: handlebar storage bags. They generally can hold 2, 3 or even as much as 4 liters in capacity and are fixed onto the handlebar with straps. With durable and waterproof materials, you can safely use these bags as a carry-on for your daily essentials.
Here are our favourite ones:
2. Wall hanging hooks
When the issue of storing a scooter indoors arises, many people will want to avoid the floor as a storage area. This is mainly caused by the lack of space. One alternative solution is to take advantage of available space on the walls.
Before you buy a wall rack, we recommend you consider the following elements in choosing the location of the hanger:
- using it won’t impede you moving around
- it won’t block opening of doors or windows
- easily reachable for you to hang your scooter on
- for electric scooters owners: don’t forget to install the hook near an electricity plug. That way, you’ll be able to charge your device.
- check that the type of wall is compatible with whatever screws the hook comes with and with the tools at your disposal.
Also, once you’ve installed the wall mount system we recommend cleaning your scooter from dust and dirt and getting it dry before you hang it. Otherwise, you’ll make the wall dirty as well.
Here are links to wall hanging systems:
3. Transport handle
If you combine your scooter with another public transportation system in your daily commutes, a transport handle will probably come in handy. It facilitates carrying your device around with an improved grip.
4. Lighting system
Riding your scooter during night time shouldn’t be a hurdle because of low visibility. If you are not satisfied with your device’s lighting system power or you don’t own one yet, you might consider a headlamp as an alternative solution.
Powerful and yet affordable devices exist in the market. I have long been a convert when it comes to head torches because of their versatility and have a soft soft for Petzl devices. I particularly like the Tikka headlamp, which I own since 2 years and use for various reasons.
Why is it Tikka a gift worth considering for scooters riders? It’s powerful (up to 300 lumens) and mostly lightweight (82g/2,9oz) with a small size, it can also be used in heavy rain thanks to its IPX4 protection. When used at maximum capacity, the headlamp can deliver 300 lumens and light to a distance of 65 meters for a burn time of 2 hours!
5. GPS Tracker
The idea of being able to see in real-time the location of your scooter may be comforting especially for those who fear for their device being stolen. Should this happen, you’ll be able to find your scooter thanks to your GPS tracker. It can also be used for other reasons, for example to track your daily distance.
Before making the purchase, take a look at the following parameters:
- GPS tracker subscription: while some require a monthly subscription, others need a yearly subcription
- Location coverage: not all countries are covered
- 4G-LTE: most trackers rely on it to work, a good signal is required for optimal operations
- Battery life: from days to several weeks depending on the device
- Size and weight
- How to attach it to your scooter: some trackers come with strong magnets. Depending on scooters, there is sometimes room inside the scooter deck for your GPS tracker.